From £99/Month

Stay Safe On The Web While Browsing By Using The Best Secure And Private Browsers.

Tips | Browsers
Last Updated: September 04, 2019
Jack
Jack

Quoracreative brings you a fresh and up to date guide about top browsers out there. Stay safe, secure and private with updates and the latest information. We dive deep into nuts and bolts so you don't have to.

img

Table Of Contents



Why Browser Security?

Are you ever alone when browsing the internet? Most people wouldn’t know. In fact, the average person doesn’t realize the magnitude of dangers lying in wait on the internet.

You should be responsible for your safety and privacy on the internet, and so should your browser. Browsers are at the center of the ongoing debate regarding privacy and safety on the web. They are the portals to the internet, so they should be at the forefront of ensuring your safety and privacy.

A secure browser is one of the ultimate essentials these days.

Very few of us know that most browsers hold very important bits of information about us in vast amounts. There are always intruders looking for week spots.

The information contained by browsers includes but is not limited to:

  • Your browsing history
  • Usernames and passwords for online accounts
  • Cookies and trackers that hold your behavioral information.
  • Names, addresses, phone numbers, etc used by autofill feature
  • Your financial information like credit cards etc

Browsers do take measures to ensure your safety and privacy, but some perform better than others.

Here is a review of the top five most secure and private browsers in 2019.

Apple Safari

Safari is Apple’s default web browser. Unfortunately, it has been exclusive to Apple and Mac devices since 2012; hence many people may not be familiar with it. Safari is the reason why Mac users are less susceptible to internet vulnerabilities. The browser is always scanning the internet for suspicious sites and blacklisting them. It also sends users alerts about potential dangers.

The browser has also recently unveiled a password generator and manager that helps prevent users from using old and weak passwords that are easy targets for hackers.

Most importantly, however, Safari runs web pages in a sandbox so that malicious code cannot affect the browser or access any data. This is what primarily sets it apart from other major browsers that are less secure.

One major shortcoming of Safari is that updates are far in-between. Unfortunately, Safari has suffered the same fate as Microsoft’s Internet Explorer as most Mac users prefer secondary web browsers.

Chromium

Chromium is a product of Google Chrome. Both browsers are open-source, but there is a major difference in that Google Chrome comes with code written by Google for access to the company’s services. As such, Chromium is for those people looking for more privacy and independence from the Google Corporation.

Chromium is more private than Google Chrome as users’ data is not sent to the tech giant. It is also more secure as users can check for vulnerabilities and patch them themselves. It is also easier to integrate third-party apps that can help boost your security and privacy.

The only shortcoming of Chromium is that it does not update automatically. This is concerning as updates come out regularly and, in all fairness, Chromium is still a project in progress. As such, you should check for updates every 2-3 weeks and install them manually.

Brave

Brave is the most unusual kind of browser in the market right now.

The features that are unique to brave browser are:

  • If you want privacy, It’s the only web browser that honors that commitment to the full and can guarantee your privacy. Going a step further, you can block all the scripts and cookies.
  • If you don't want ads, block them. No ifs no buts.
  • If you are ok with ads (And there could be the reason why, details later), brave will allow them but in a non traditional way.

The power is back to the user.

Now, why on earth would you like to look at ads?

Well, there is money to be made.

There are two types of ads:

Optional User Ads, which users can block or opt-in and be part of the target audience and receive 70% of ads revenue. The other 30% will go the Brave.

Publisher Integrated Ads(Non-Optional), where 70% of the revenue will go to the Verified Publishers. The remaining 30% will be equally divided between the users and the "Brave".

Brave is still relatively new compared to other browsers in the list. In fact, most people are yet to hear about it, let alone try it out.

Brave is the creation of Brenden Eich, the creator of JavaScript and the former head of Mozilla. Its founder utilizes the best and latest technology. To this end, Brave is faster and easier to use than most other browsers. It is also more secure and private.

Brave uses several techniques to keep your web activity private. For starters, it has a default ad blocker that not only blocks pesky ads but also keeps advertisers from monitoring and tracking your online behavior. The browser also has an in-built Tor tab that is not as effective as Tor but is, nevertheless, ideal for incognito browsing.

Brave also has extensive security settings. For instance, you get to delete whatever data you wish before closing the browser. There are also many settings to customize and secure your browsing experience. This includes keeping scripts from loading and blocking fingerprinting attempts.

As mentioned, Brave is relatively new and is still working improving the initial version for desktop users. However, the browser is operational and freely available. The updates are also coming in fast so stay tuned.

Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Firefox is one of the most popular browsers besides Google Chrome. One of the reasons why is because of its top-notch security and privacy levels.

Mozilla Firefox has one of the most comprehensive security suites of any web browser. It helps protect against malware and phishing attempts. It also detects web forgeries and blocks any websites reported for launching web attacks. It also warns users if sites try to install add-ons without user’s permission. What’s more, users can customize security settings as they see fit to protect against more dangers.

Firefox’s privacy features are not quite as good, though. It does have a ‘Content Blocking’ feature that enables users to block all web trackers. However, privacy is guaranteed in the fact that this browser is completely open-source – this means that anyone can inspect the source code for threats and make the necessary corrections, so criminal elements tend to keep away.

Mozilla Firefox issues new updates every 6-10 weeks. Updates are designed by volunteer coders, but they feature the latest security, privacy, and performance protocols. Firefox’s latest update and version, Quantum, is one of the most private and secure ones yet.

Tor Browser

Tor Browser has always been the go-to browser for those seeking an extra level of security and privacy. It is, in fact, the browser of choice for those browsing the Dark Web.

Tor encrypts your traffic in three layers by bouncing your data around a vast network of relays on thousands of computers. As such, it is incredibly difficult for anyone to trace your data or your identity unless they deploy extensive resources. This is what primarily makes Tor the best browser for privacy.

Tor also packs a range of formidable security features. For starters, it does not track your browsing history. Additionally, it automatically deletes all your cookies at the end of each session. It is also ranked as the best browser against browser fingerprinting. What’s more, users can make extensive configurations to boost their security and privacy.

Tor may be the best browser in terms of privacy, but that does not mean that you are completely anonymous. As such, avoid engaging in unlawful online activities based on your confidence in this browser – the FBI’s bust of the Silk Road market, which dealt in drugs, assassins, and other products and services, is a good reason why.

Where Does Google Chrome Stand?

Google Chrome is the most popular browser with a market share of about 80%. It is especially popular for its inclusion of proprietary Google code that grants easier and quicker access to Google services compared to other browsers. It is also faster and more efficient than most other browsers.

Chrome ranks well in terms of security. It packs all the security features that you can think of – to put it into perspective, Chrome beats Mozilla Firefox in terms of the number and strength of security protocols. Its updates contain the latest security protocols, and it ranks the highest in Browserscope security test scores.

However, Google Chrome is not the best browser for privacy. In fact, Google has been blamed for the ongoing concerns about internet users’ privacy. It has a questionable privacy policy which it manipulates to get around set regulations. It also has thousands of extensions that need access to your data. Finally, one cannot ignore the fact that Google profits off data and Google Chrome is one of its best data collection tools.


About the Author:

Jack is an accomplished cybersecurity expert with years of experience under his belt at TechWarn, a trusted digital agency to world-class cybersecurity companies. A passionate digital safety advocate himself, Jack frequently contributes to tech blogs and digital media sharing expert insights on cybersecurity and privacy tools.

Jack

Published Under: Tips



Disclaimer: “Whilst we have made every effort to ensure that the information we have provided is accurate, it is not and advice. We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions. Visit third party sites at your own risk. This article does not constitute legal advice.